(Richmond University) New York: Harper's Weekly 1873. $85.00
“Richmond College. Richmond, Virginia”
A late 19th century view showing Richmond College (later Richmond University) as it existed at the time. The school was founded by Virginia Baptists in 1830. During the American Civil War, the entire student body formed a regiment in the Confederate Army. The college had put all of its money in confederate war bonds and was bankrupt at the end of the war. However, in 1866, James Thomas donated money to reopen it and the T.C. Williams School of Law was opened in 1870. This engraving shows one of the main buildings of the original downtown campus. In 1914 a new campus was constructed near the Westhampton area of Richmond. The text on the reverse of the engraving tells more of the early history of the institution. It is reproduced in the photo below. 10 ½ x 8 ¼ inches. Hand colored wood engraving. Good condition with light overall patina.