"View of the Dam and Water Works at Fair Mount"
The Fairmount Waterworks began operation in 1812 to 1815 using steam power. Very few images of this exceptional site were produced until 1822 when the machinery was converted to water power. The waterworks was built in Philadelphia to satisfy the growing city's demand for water. Located on the Schuylkill River at the base of Fair Mount, Frederick Graff was the genius responsible for the engineering and building design. Its impressive size and neo-classical appearance and riverside setting of he waterworks became the most popular destination for tourists and visiting artists. This view of the Waterworks appeared in the Report of the Watering Committee (1823).
Engraving uncolored 9 x 15.5 inches site.
Archivally framed 12.5 x 19 inches.