“General Hospital, Boston.”
Wonderful early engraving of Massachusetts General Hospital. In 1810, the new United States had but two general hospitals, the Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia founded in 1756 and the New York Hospital founded in 1791. The chaplain of the Boston Almshouse organized a fundraising campaign to raise funds to establish a hospital and in 1811 the Massachusetts legislature granted a charter for the incorporation of Massachusetts General Hospital. A four-acre field in Boston's West End known as Prince's Pasture was acquired for construction of the General Hospital and the original building opened its doors to patients on September 3, 1821. The world renown “Mass General” became the first teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, responsible for many “firsts” including the first public demonstration of surgical anesthesia in 1846, the identification of appendicitis in 1886, the establishment of the first medical social service by Richard Cabot and Ida Cannon in 1905, and the first replantation of a severed arm by a surgical team led by Ronald Malt 1962.
A rarely seen engraving from an English view book printed in 1831 and titled, The History and Topography of the United States of North America edited by John Howard Hinton assisted by several Literary Gentlemen in America and England with views and maps drawn on the spot and engraved on steel expressly for this work. The engraving is unusual as it was included in a much larger deluxe edition of the work.
Uncolored steel engraving as issued.
12 x 17 inches paper size.