"Institute de Franklin"
A delicately engraved and beautifully colored steel engraving from a French series of views engraved by Traversier that contained some wonderful Philadelphia scenes. Jean B.G.Roux de Rochelle published the work entitled Etats-Unis d’Amerique in 1837. The images were so popular that the plates were reissued in a number of European language editions.
The Franklin Institute was founded in 1824 and was originally housed in Independence Hall. It soon moved to the east side of 7th street into the building depicted in this engraving. In the 1930's the Institute moved to its current location and this building became the home of the Atwater Kent Museum now known as The Philadelphia History Museum.
Hand colored steel engraving.
8 ¼ x 5 inches, sheet.
or click to inquire about this print.