“Fairmount Gardens. Bey Philadelphia.”
Upper Ferry Bridge at Fairmount. Built in 1812, this was one of the earliest bridges to cross the Schuylkill River. According to Wainwright (Philadelphia Portrait of an American City, p. 134) “it was constructed by a company whose principal shareholder was Jacob Ridgway. The single wooden arch with two carriageways and two foot ways, 340 feet long, was then the greatest span ever achieved in wood or stone. The engineer and builder was German-born Lewis Wernwag and the architect of the cover was Robert Mills of South Carolina. The Colossus, as it was called, was as elegant in appearance as it was bold in structure. “
5 ¾ x 9 inches, sheet.
Hand colored engraving.
Excellent condition save light mark in margin at center.
or click to inquire about this print.